Another torture incident in Bayburt added to thousands of others in the state of emergency.
In Bayburt, Police Officers took E.O. from the prison where he was waiting for a trial to Police Headquarter and tortured him. They taped his mouth, his eyes and beat him up until he lost his conscience. They also threatened him with hurting his wife and daughters.
It was reported that the police officers were authorized by Prosecutor Durmuş Ali Karakoca and Bayburt Province Police Chief Sezayi Er to interrogate detainees by using torture methods.
After this incident published in Turkish media, Prosecutor Durmuş Ali Karakoca and Bayburt Province Police Chief Sezayi Er immediately transferred E.O. to Gumushane Province Prison.
İsmail Ustaoğlu, the Governor of Bayburt Province, has done nothing to stop torture in Bayburt despite allegations.
- İsmail Ustaoğlu – Ex-Governor of Bayburt, Current Governor of Bitlis
- Sezayi Er – Chief of Bayburt Provincial Police Department
- Ali Karakoca – Ex-Bayburt Prosecutor, Current Konya Prosecutor
- Yusuf Fatih Atay – Chief of Intelligence Department
- Mete Durukan – The Department of Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime (KOM) Branch Director
- İrfan Gültekin – Warden of Diyarbakır D Type Prison